What is considered a violation?

The City’s Municipal Codes, Ordinances, Zoning code, building and trade codes, and other regulations define the violations frequently addressed by the City Marshal Service. As a general rule, violations must have an impact on the adjacent neighborhood or the community as a whole. The following reflect some of the most common complaints received.

Common Complaints

High Weeds/Grass and/or Trash 

High weeds/grass constitutes a violation of City Ordinance 264-5 (IPMC-302.4) which states, “All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of ten inches (10”).  Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants and vegetation, other than trees or shrubs provided; however, this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens.”

“Trash” constitutes a violation of City Ordinance 264-5 (IPMC-307.1) which states, “All exterior property and premises and the interior of every structure, shall be free from an accumulation of rubbish or garbage.”  Trash shall include refuse, litter, ashes, leaves, debris, paper, combustible materials, rubbish, waste, or other matter, which is uncared for, discarded, or abandoned.

Abandoned/Inoperative Vehicles, Furniture, Appliances and Materials on Residential Property 

Constitute a violation of City Ordinance 264.2.  For the purpose of this section, an abandoned motor vehicle is defined to be one that is in a state of disrepair and incapable of being moved under its own power or a vehicle that does not have affixed thereto a license tag; and, abandoned furniture that is exposed to the elements but that is not weatherproof by design.

In addition, City Ordinance 264-5 (IPMC-302.8) states, “…no inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled.”

Unsecured or Dilapidated Structures

Unsecured or dilapidated structures may constitute a violation of 264-5, (IPMC-301.1 thru 301.18.3), and/or 275.119.O.  Simply put, any vacated buildings shall have all outer doors firmly locked, and basement, cellar, and first-story windows boarded or secured to prevent entry.

Structures that by their state of damage, decay or prolonged vacancy present a hazard to occupants or the public’s health, safety or welfare may be considered dilapidated and subject to demolition and removal.

Yard Cars and Recreational Vehicles

Located in a residentially zoned area must comply with regulations found in City Ordinance 361.15.A (2) and/or 3116.16.G.

Vehicles shall be parked on a paved or sealed surface that encompasses the entire width and length of the vehicle.  Vehicles are prohibited from parking on grass or dirt surfaces. 

Recreational vehicles (boats, trailers, motor homes, etc.) must be parked or stored in side or rear yards where available.  Under no circumstances may sidewalks be blocked. 

Show All Answers

1. What is “the code”?
2. What is considered a violation?
3. How can you help?
4. How to make a complaint
5. What happens after the complaint?
6. Where can you get the code?